7 Tips To Improve Digestion and Gut Health
1. Avoid Distractions- Practice mindful eating by focusing on your food. When we are sitting in front of the television or glancing at our phones are digestion becomes compromised.
2. Chew Your Food Thoroughly- Digestion starts in the mouth. The mouth releases specific enzymes which start the digestive process. Chew each bite a minimum of 20 times which allows these enzymes to start breaking down your food to prepare it for further digestion and absorption in the stomach.
3. Eat Fiber- Fiber keeps the GI tract moving. It helps remove toxins and serves as a source of prebiotics for your gut microbiome. It has been linked with lowered risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
4. Hydrate- Drink plenty of water between meals. Try to avoid drinking during meals often as this can dilute down stomach acids which are necessary to ensure adequate protein breakdown and overall digestion.
5. Eat Whole Organic Foods- A diet built on natural foods is foundational to optimizing your health. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, legumes, and fish are wonderful sources of nourishment for your body. Minimize sugars and processed foods and eat organic when you can.
6. Exercise-. Exercise is a great way not only to improve overall health but it enables gut motility.
7. Elimination Posture- Simply sitting on the toilet may not be the most effective way to encourage complete elimination. Raising your knees above your hips with a small stool or squatting over the toilet may reduce constipation by encouraging bowel motility.
You do not have to make all these changes at once. Start by implementing small changes one at a time which can be a great way to make sure that new habits stick!